The Genesee Valley Breeders Association is the oldest Thoroughbred breeding organization in the United States. Founded in Avon, New York in 1914 by Mrs. Herbert Wadsworth, the original mission of the GVBA was to aid and encourage breeding of hunters. During WW1 the organization cooperated with the Jockey Club and the United States Remount Service to produce cavalry horses. The resultant “light horse”, an animal of size, substance and athleticism became the standard of the Genesee Valley Hunter. For several years the GVBA owned and operated the Lookover Stallion Station in Avon where several quality Thoroughbred stallions stood for the benefit of the NY horse breeders. With the opening of Finger Lakes Race Track in 1962, the GVBA and its then President, Dr. Joseph O’Dea, founded the awards program that recognized the New York Bred Thoroughbred. Now statewide, this program is administered by the New York Breeding and Development Fund Corporation, and it continues to provide monies for breeders and stallion awards and enhanced purses for registered New York Breds.